Monday, February 4, 2008

Taking it with you...

I heard a joke recently, and I'd thought I'd relate my version of it here. Some of my close friends have heard it already. A disclaimer: I'm not endorsing the theology contained therein, such as it is...

A wealthy man contracted cancer and was quickly dying. He consulted with his minister and ones from several other churches, but was depressed that they all told him the same thing: money was temporal and he couldn't take it with him to heaven. As he lay dying, he prayed fervently and ceaselessly to heaven that he would be allowed to take the wealth that he had taken a lifetime to accumulate. Finally, an angel of the Lord appeared to him.

"Angel, I have worked hard all my life for this money, and you know that I have given my tithe to the church and far more, and have given generously to all in need."

The angel acknowledged that this was so, but that he would have no need of money in heaven. The man persisted in his begging, until at last the angel relented.

"You are permitted to take one bag, and one bag only," the angel said, and bade him farewell.

The old man was by this time gravely ill, and with his last strength he crawled out of bed (for he had elected to die at home) and filled a suitcase with gold. Then he died, still clutching his bag tightly.
The next moment that he was aware of, he was standing in front of an angel that he knew was Michael. Behind Michael were the gates of heaven. Michael looked at the bag.

"You are not allowed to bring that in here, I'm afraid," he said.

The old man (now miraculously young) said proudly "Oh no, I have special permission to bring this suitcase into heaven."

The angel looked as skeptical as an angel can, and asked him to open the bag. The man did so and the angel took in all of the beautiful glittering gold that filled the case. The angel smiled and slapped the man on the back.

"Great! That's fine. But why did you bring all this pavement?"

If you don't get it, read Revelation 21:21.

No comments:

 
Google