Monday, February 18, 2008

The Worst Big Budget Movies?

I was thinking recently about some of the worst big budget films out there. I have a good friend who says that Waterworld (with Kevin Costner) fits into that category. I only saw it once, but I didn't think it was that horrible. Of course, this kind of thing is always subjective, but I do have a few to mention.

1. Superman IV - It was some time before I even realized that Christopher Reeve had made a 4th Superman movie. I don't remember it being in theatres. After I saw it, I realized why. I found it painful. The worst parts were the scenes with Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor. If you remember the comics, Lex is supposed to be bald. In the 1st movie, Gene Jackson pulls off his "wig" at the end of the movie and is revealed as bald. In the 4th movie, he is apparently wearing his wig again. However, the wig has a bald spot...

2. Dungeons and Dragons - Truly awful picture that my friend Matt and I went to see without his wife. Staying home was the best decision Lina ever made. Thora Birch tried hard in her role as the queen, but she didn't have a chance of saving this movie from its terrible script.

3. Catch and Release - Kevin Smith is funny, but the other characters (especially the leads) are to me so unsympathetic as to make some parts of this movie actually appalling. I'm a big Jennifer Garner fan for her work in Alias, but this movie was not a good career choice for her.

and the worst one of all time in my opinion...

Hudson Hawk. I went to see this film against my will, and I believe I had the first white appearing in my hair upon coming out of the theatre.

Again, these are just big budget films. There are plenty of TV movies that are most likely far worse. Also, there are many films (The Saw pictures, the American Pie series and its ilk of crude humor) that I might dislike even more if I ever went to see them. However, they hold no interest for me because of their subject matter.

No comments:

 
Google