Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tales from Slovakia

I spent some time in Europe for my previous employer. Twice I spent a week in Slovakia, which I found fascinating. Now, I don't want to generalize, but it seemed from the people we encountered in our plant that we were visiting that the Slovakian men were on average a bit taller than the average American man. I found this ironic because the hotel we stayed in had very short beds. The hotel rooms had separations everywhere. There were two short single beds in the hotel room I was given, but they were separated almost as separate rooms themselves by dividers. When you first went in the room, there was a sort of foyer, with fiberglass type dividers splitting the bedroom. Very strange.

Brataslava also was a study in contrasts. You could still see the ugly Soviet era apartment buildings towering in the distant, all grayish white and all looking exactly the same. Much of Brataslava was booming, with new residences, shopping centers, and roads being built. It was quite amazing. It's been probably 3 years since I've been there, and I'm sure that it has changed dramatically even since then.

No comments:

 
Google