Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's In A Name?

How many "odd" names have you encountered in your everyday lives? I can think of several: In high school there was apparently a person (not in my grade) named Jed Clampett. I don't remember ever meeting him, but I remember him being called to the office on occasion.


At a former employer there was a man with the last name of Holly who went by Buddy.


When I worked at a bank a long time ago processing certain applications, I did see a Sandy Beach and an Eric Von Batman III.


On the slightly tasteless front, in my first office job out of college there was a man in our department with the last name of Dickhaut. We then hired a woman with the last name of Dickens. I won't comment any more on that...

At that same place, there was a man who managed one of our stores that some of my coworkers would call specifically to have him paged throughout his store. His name was Richard Handler, but he went by the nickname Dick instead of Rick or Rich. Again, this is all true. Who would even think about making up Von Batman III?

No comments:

 
Google